Saturday, July 23, 2016

Luna Moth Challenge

Over on the Allegory Gallery Facebook page there is a challenge (or several) going on.
One of them is the Luna Moth Challenge . We were required to purchase the kit from the Allegory Gallery website and then had quite a few weeks to create something with those beads.
We had the option of adding from our own stash or not. I chose to NOT add in other bits this time.

I decided I wanted the one -holed focal LUNA MOTH pendant to be a non- pendant so I added another hole opposite the first one, thank goodness for my Dremel Micro. It's become a real workhorse in my studio.

I have not used waxed linen before in my jewellery making, (only for handmade book bindings.)
It was an interesting material to work with. It is self needling cause it's sticky and does fit through quite a few bead holes, even the small e-beads we were given as part of the kit. It does create a less flexible finished piece than is usual with other fibres, but it holds KNOTS really well. Bonus!!!

This being my first time using waxed linen cord I didn't calculate the correct length to start with, (factor in the knots next time Deb) so my first attempt ended up being choker length. And I do mean CHOKE-er. I don't have a skinny neck and the end product, while gorgeous, was not wearable by me. But I was on a deadline and the challenge photos were due so I posted it anyhow to the Facebook page.

soft and pretty LUNA MOTH choker
It fits my mannequin but she has a skinny neck, a really skinny neck
But it's done. 

but......... If you are like me you often are not satisfied with what you create and things need tweaking. So I tweaked.  I had added a small cord crimp to each end to allow me to attach the lobster clasp. so adding more waxed linen was going to be problematic. so off came the jump rings and I knotted the additional linen cord to the loop on the crimp end and continued to add more beads. It is now a more wearable 26" long with a button and loop closure. so it is metal Free. Not an issue for me but if I decide to sell it that may be a selling point. I also added two beads (and another hole) to the Luna Moth pendant to guarantee it wont flip over or upside down when wearing it. I guess after all this it ended up being a pendant anyways. Oh dear.

This is my finished piece and I won't be remaking it again lol.

A much longer necklace now

I added Wooly Wire twists to cover the metal cord ends so no exposed metal .
I used one of the larger gemstone beads to make a button and
 two loops of linen cord twisted together to make the loop.

If you want to see what the other artists made with this kit and the Tribal kits as well pop over to the Facebook page. there are tons of things to see so prepare to browse for a while.